This week we’re officially starting a new curriculum in our Wednesday night Kids’ Club program. I really wanted to “get back to basics” this year and dig deep into both God’s Word and the core tenets of a Biblical worldview. I found the Kids’ Quest curriculum by Great Commission Publications recently and decided to give it a try. I really like the content, but the “Small Group” component is a little lacking, so I’ll be digging around for some supplemental material and posting it here. Hopefully it will be a help to both our small group leaders and readers of Growing Kids Ministry. If you’ve used the curriculum or have some ideas of your own, please leave me a comment and let me know!
For week one, we cover Question #1 and Question #2 in the Children’s Catechism. Please find some small group activity ideas for each question below.
Question #1: Who Made Me? (God)
- Making a self portrait with yarn hair, google eyes, fabric scraps for clothes and other silly materials (talk about differences among people as you work)
- Baby Picture Game: Have everyone bring in a baby picture and guess who’s is who’s.
- Any Picture Show and Tell: Have kids bring any picture featuring themselves or their family. Have them share the story surrounding the picture and remind kids that God made everyone special and we’re all unique.
- Hand Print with age and height, etc: This is something my son did in his Tiny Tots class, but it fits perfect with this lesson as well, especially with the younger kids. For the older kids, you might want to leave out the weight part. 🙂
- Water color Name: This easy to do activity will help everyone learn each other’s names and kids will get to paint! Double bonus. Just print out each child’s name using the “Outline” feature in Microsoft word and have them use water colors to decorate. Check out examples at Design Editor.
Question #2: What Else Did God Make? (God Made All Things)
- Creation Magazine Mural: Grab some Zoobooks or other outdoor focused magazines and create a giant creation mural as a group.
- Nature bag (curriculum suggested): Place various items from nature inside a pillowcase (pinecone, stick, stone, leaves, etc). Have kids reach inside to feel something and try to guess what it is.
- Read a book about crazy or weird animal like: National Geographic Kids 125 True Stories of Amazing Animals.
- Really, any creation craft or activity will fit with this! Check out these creation lessons from Growing Kids Ministry.
More Things to Check Out:
- Find the full Catechism for Boys and Girls at the Reformed Reader
- Songs for Saplings: A surprisingly catchy musical version of this catechism
- Memory Verse Games: When nothing else fits, a memory verse game is always a good option!
- Catechism?? With Our Kids? An article from the Gospel Coalition
- Creation Songs for Kids (Ministry to Children)
- God Made Me Bible Lesson and Craft (Psalm 139) from Ministry to Children
- Psalm 139 Coloring Page: Boy version and Girl version
Linked Up At: