I’ve been reading through the book Constant Prayer. I’ve been surprised about the engaging nature of this book and am thinking about incorporating the daily office into my schedule. I thought I’d share the general outline with you as well to give you an idea of the practice as well (found on pages 31-34). Check out the full review of the book here.
- Call to Prayer, Preparation, or request for God’s presence
- Psalm of Invitation
- Collect – a formal prayer that collects or gathers us all up, binding us together as a community of believers
- Hymn of praise
- Psalm appointed for the day
- Reading of Scripture – to root our worship and prayer in the Word of God
- Response to the Word – can be a moment of silence, reflection, or journaling
- Prayers of the People – Prayers of thanksgiving, intercession, and petition
- Confession of Sin
- Blessing (such as “Thanks be to God”)
This basic framework exists no matter what prayer book you choose to use. Speaking of books, here are a few worth taking a look at.