Welcome to another round of Staycation posts just in time for summer! If you missed the last few years of Erie, PA fun, let me direct you to those posts first:
- Eat, Sleep, and Play in Erie, PA
- Family Fun in Erie, PA
- Summer Bucket List for Erie, Pennsylvania
- Family Fun Ideas, divided by age
Now onto some fun in 2015!
To begin, I wanted to highlight some great places to look for fun. Events are always changing and it’s hard to catch all the good stuff for a particular week, however, there are some great places to get started when mapping out a schedule.
Check out these places (to get started)!
- Erie Times News: Pick up this paper on a Thursday to check out all the upcoming family fun events in the area. If you want to plan ahead, be sure to get it on the last Thursday of the month to see the full calendar at a glance.
- Family Day Out: This is an amazing website that finds great family activities close to your zip code. They even sort by type of attraction or age to get just what you’re looking for!
- Things to Do in Northwest, PA: You can also select different regions to find some of the top attractions near you!
- Visit PA: The official tourist site of Pennsylvania
- Visit Erie, PA: Same concept as the site above, but focusing on the good old town of Erie
- Trekaroo: This is a great website to browse around on for ideas! It lists popular attractions as well as reviews from recent travelers.
- Pennsylvania State Parks: I love a good stay in the woods and this is a terrific place to start planning an “away from it all” vacation with the family!
- Northeast, Ohio Family Fun: A little bit of a trip, but there’s a lot to choose from here! From spray parks to a calendar chock full of family friendly weekend events, you’re sure to find something to do!
- Erie Staycation Pinterest Board: This is my pinterest board all about my lovely home town! Follow it to stay updated on new discoveries!
- Presque Isle Calendar: From nature walks to workshops, there’s plenty on this calendar to choose from!
- Asbury Woods: There are lots of festivals, camps, and classes at this wonderful nature center. Even if you don’t sign up for something official, it’s a great place to spend an afternoon!
- Erie Children’s Museum: Not only is it a fun place to spend a morning, they also offer classes and camps for the little ones.
- Summer Movie Clubhouse: Indoor movie on the big screen for $1? Sign me up for that!
Worth a Drive?
I understand this is supposed to be a STAYcation post, but sometimes, it’s worth it to take a little drive. You can sometimes find great lodging through Air BnB or by renting a cabin for the week.
- Fun Things to do in Scranton, PA: This town is about a 5 hour drive from Erie, PA. However, it boasts over 171 attractions for families, which you can check out here. Even more ideas are listed on the Trekaroo website.
- Family Attractions in Lancaster, PA: This will be about a 6 hour journey, but it’s got some amazing memories ready to be made. Fun sites include Thomas the train, an Amish village, and even a Biblical tabernacle!
What About You?
These are a few of my favorite places, what about you? What do you love about Erie, PA? I’d love to hear from you!
Check out even MORE Staycation ideas from around the USA!
A – D
Phoenix, Arizona — Saving For Someday
Fresno, California — Living A Frugal Life
Orange County, California — More With Less Today
San Diego, California — Southern Cali Saver
Denver, Colorado — Bargain Blessings
Washington, District of Columbia — Kidventurous
F – I
Disney World, Florida — The Happy Housewife
Jacksonville, Florida — Saving The Family Money
Orlando, Florida — Coupon Mamacita
St Augustine, Florida — Simply St. Augustine
Tallahasse, Florida — SwagGrabber
Tampa Bay, Florida — LaToyaEdwards.net
Atlanta, Georgia — Pretty Frugal Diva
Dahlonega, Georgia — Kathys Cluttered Mind
Savannah, Georgia — This Mommy Saves Money
Aurora/Chicago, Illinois — A Savings WOW!
Chicago, Illinois — Entertaining Chicago
Indianapolis, Indiana — Chaos Is Bliss
K – P
Lexington, Kentucky — Homeschool Village
Louisville, Kentucky — The Kennedy Adventures
Northern Kentucky, Kentucky — Simply Sherryl
Carroll County, Maryland — Looking at life CreativLEI
Boston, Massachusetts — Maven of Savin
Battle Creek, Michigan — Pichea Place
Grand Rapids, Michigan — Give Me Neither
Metro Detroit, Michigan — Saving Dollars and Sense
Kansas City Area, Missouri/Kansas — Redefined Mom
Omaha, Nebraska — Family Fun in Omaha
Central, New Jersey — Our Good Life
Cincinnati, Ohio — Adventure Mom
Cleveland, Ohio — Kosher on a Budget
Columbus, Ohio — Cleverly Simple
Dayton, Ohio — Savings Lifestyle
Mansfield & Richland County, Ohio — The Traveling Praters
Miami County, Ohio — Something 2 Offer
Northeast, Ohio — Sisters Shopping on a Shoestring
Portland, Oregon — Frugal Living NW
Harrisburg/Central, PA — Family Balance Sheet
Erie, Pennsylvania — Growing Kids Ministry
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania — Moms Need To Know
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania — The Coupon High
R – W
Arlington, Texas — Grocery Shop For FREE
Fort Worth, Texas — Coupons and Freebies Mom
Houston, Texas — Melissa’s Bargains
Katy, Texas — Moms Confession
San Antonio, Texas — How to Homeschool My Child
Tyler, Texas — iLoveMy5Kids
Charlottesville, Virgina — How to Have it All
Norfolk, Virgina — The Talking Suitcase
Richmond, Virgina — Vacation Maybe
Seattle, Washington — Thrifty NW Mom
Tacoma/South Puget Sound, Washington — Queen Bee Coupons
Oshkosh, Wisconsin — A Little Bit of This and That