Tomorrow night, we say goodbye to our sixth graders with a Going Away Costume Party. It will be in similar fashion to our Back to School Party from last year, with various game stations kids to head to at their leisure. Here’s the plan for our event, in case you’re looking for some inspiration for your own!
We’ll begin the celebration with a group picture. We certainly should remember all the great costumes and it will serve as a happy memory for the kids who are on their way to the youth group next week.
Since we meet in the gym area, we set up various game stations around the room. This year, we’re focusing on Minute to Win it style games, with much inspiration drawn from the free Back to School Games from Children’s Ministry Deals. Here’s what we’ll be playing
Stack the Books
- Supplies: Books, Timer
- How to Play: Kids must stack the same number of books as their age in one minute or less. If it’s too easy, have kids race to complete their stack first.
- Supplies: Rolled up paper, trash can, timer, tape for floor marking
- How to Play: Kids must stand behind a designated line and toss paper wads into a trash can. They must successfully dunk the same number of wads as their age in one minute or less.
- Supplies: Small round cookies, timer
- How to Play: Lunch is better with a cookie! Kids must stack the same number of cookies as their age on their forehead in one minute or less. They may sit or stand.
Back to School Bingo
- Supplies: Bingo Sheets, Glass stone or other markers (You can find free back to school bingo sheets at Momdeavors or spring for set of 30 at Teachers Pay Teachers ($2).
Paper Airplane Launch
- Supplies: Paper for making planes, Poster board target, Timer)
- How to Play: Kids have one minute to successfully make a paper airplane and fly it towards a target (and hit it). Kids 6 and below must hit the target one time and kids 6+ must hit the target twice. Kids may retrieve the same airplane to try again without having to make a new one. Kids waiting in line may practice plane making, but must start with a fresh paper when it is their turn.
Fruit Loop Sorter
- Supplies: Fruit Loops, Tongs, Clear cups marked with colors)
- How to Play: Kids must sort as many fruit loops as possible into the proper cups in one minute or less. Keep a score chart.
Card and Snack Station
- Supplies: Construction Paper, Stickers, Markers
- What to Do: Have kids make going away cards for their friends while they enjoy a snack
That’s it for now! I’d love to hear what you have planned!