For the fourth year in a row, I’m joining a great group of bloggers to bring you fabulous family fun ideas for your city or town. Today, I’ll be sharing our bucket list for summer fun in Erie, PA. Be sure to stop back in tomorrow for fresh new ideas from across the country. Also, be sure to head on over to my previous staycation posts for more great ideas!
Previous Staycation Posts
Broken up into Eating, Sleeping, and Doing — this post is a great resource for planning out a full week of fun. It also gives some great resources for summer learning and other blogs and twitter friends to follow for more ideas!
Local friends weigh in on this post, sharing their favorite summer activities in Erie. Also listed are great nature centers and guide books to check out.
This post is divided into age groups so you can find the perfect outing for your family! Also included are theme week ideas, day trips, and other sites worth checking out!
Now Onto This Year!
This year, our kids are a little older and are starting to love charts, schedules and checklists, so I thought they would get a kick out of a Summer Checklist. They’ve weighed in on their favorite activities and I’ve added a few of my own as well. There’s a great mix of summer time favorites and new adventures. I’m hoping to put up a super fun printable version soon, so stay tuned! (Grab it below!)
Our Summer Checklist (in no particular order)
- Rent a surrey on Presque Isle
- Build a giant sandcastle (must be at least 4 feet tall)
- Make a water blob for the backyard
- Visit Waldameer with GiGi (the kids great grandma)
- Visit Pymatuning Deer Park
- Drive to Buffalo Zoo
- Exploding Sidewalk Chalk experiment
- Go horseback riding
- Cow Day at Chick-Fil-A (and make cute cow skirts!)
- Head to the Summer House Cafe for Breakfast
- Do a Family Service Project
- The Great American Book Sale (June)
- Donut Day Party (June 6th)
- Fourth of July Rocks from our beach
- Go camping in our backyard (anyone got a tent we can borrow?)
- Fourth of July Cookies
- Attend Summer Movie Clubhouse at Tinseltown
- Pontoon Ride on Lake Erie
- Visit a local restaurant based on a recommendation from a friend
- Ride the trolley to the Children’s Museum
- Have lunch at the Lawrence Park Dinor
- Walk to Dairy Queen and back with the family
- Chart the phases of the moon
- Have a moth party
- Attend a craft workshop with the kids at Michael’s ($2)
- Celebrate National Lemonade Day (August 20)
Want it in a fun printable version?
What About You?
The list is still a work in progress, and I’d love to hear your ideas as well. Leave me a comment and let me know what I should add to the list!
More Stuff to Check Out
- 99 Things to Do in Erie (Erie Times News)
- 100 Days of Play (Sun Scholars)
- 100 Days of Summer Planning Book (affiliate link)
- My Summer Fun Pinterest Board
- Staycation Group Board
- Activity Hero: Summer Classes for Kids in Erie
- Cheap in Erie Blog
- Erie Sprout
- Groupon Deals for Erie
- 25 Awesome Staycation Ideas (love these ground rules!)
- 33 Activities Under $10 to Keep Your Kids Busy
- Virtual Tourist: Things to Do in Pennsylvania