We’re about to embark on the fourth (wow!) summer of Story Time in the Park (check out our past projects here). This year, we’re shaking things up a bit. In years passed, we gathered together, read a few stories, sang a few songs, and headed to some nearby picnic tables to do a craft.
However, we’ve noticed that we sometimes have a few older kids who aren’t interested in our books and a few younger kids that don’t have the attention span for all that sitting still. So, after a little brainstorming, fellow church leader Anne and I decided to branch into two different programs.
#1 Story Time
This program still focuses on books, but will be much more hands on and interactive this year. We may only read one book, but we’ll do a number of activities and finger plays to enhance the learning and fun. For example, for Caterpillar week, we’ll read the book “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” to begin, but we’ll also learn sign language for “Hungry”, match fruits to days of the week, and look at live butterflies that are currently forming in a butterfly habitat in my kitchen.
We’ll also have a super simple butterfly craft (gluing wings onto a piece of construction paper) for those kids who are interested.
#2 Art in the Park
For the older bunch, Anne will be directing a number of more in depth art projects from the book, Art Lab for Kids. Each project will take two weeks and hopefully challenge the older kids and give them a real sense of accomplishment. Check out a review on the book from The Crafty Crow. Stay tuned for more details and pictures coming soon.
Won’t You Join Us?
If you’re in the Erie, PA area, be sure to stop by Whitford Park every Monday at 10:30 starting on June 1st for some literature and art based fun!
The Story Schedule
In case you’re interested, here’s what’s on the schedule for 2015:
June 1st: Caterpillars
- Book: The Very Hungry Caterpillar
- Book: Crunching Munching Caterpillar
- Craft: Decorate butterfly wings
June 8th: Seeds
- Book: Tiny Seeds
- Book: (Still Deciding)
- Craft: Use flower and vegetable sticker to “plant” a garden
June 15th: Food
- Book: Today is Monday
- Book: Little Red Hen Makes a Pizza
- Craft: Draw Your Fave Food on Marker Board
June 22nd: Cars and Trucks
- Book: Red Truck by Hamilton
- Book: Trucks Whizz! zoom! rumble!
- Craft/Activity: Bring cars and trucks for kids to play with while playing the game “Guess that Sound”
June 29th: Cats and Dogs
- Book: Have you seen my cat?
- Book: My cat, My Dog
- Craft/Activity: Hide the cat game
July 6th: Feelings
- Book: If you’re happy and you know it
- Book: (Still deciding)
- Craft/Activity: Decorate faces
July 13th: Dinosaurs
- Book: Dinosaur Roar! by Strickland
- Book: Dino Wash Deluxe
- Craft/Activity: Washing dinosaur figures
July 20th:Dancing Bugs
- Book: Dancing Bugs
- Book: Clap Your Hands
- Craft/Activity: Dance and do actions during reading
July 27th: Colors
- Book: Mix it up
- Book: (Still deciding)
- Craft/Activity: Mix up paint in bags
Stay tuned for more details and pictures posted every Monday (hopefully!)