We’re at it again! Story Time at Whitford Park was a such a huge hit last year, we are continuing the tradition. We want it to be friendly and welcoming to everyone, so we’ve chosen books that are nonreligious and kids will easily relate to. Here’s what we’ve got on the schedule for June.
Note: The links for the books take you to Amazon, where you can “look inside” most of the books.
June 4th Theme: Counting
Craft: Cut apples in half and let kids dip in either a stamp pad or finger paint to make apple shapes on the page. Thinking of making a page with numbers on it along the side, so if they want to “stack 10 apples” they can.
June 11th Theme: Bugs
- Bugs! Bugs! Bugs! by Bob Barner
- Diary of a Fly by Doreen Cronin and Harry Bliss
- Get red paper plates and have kids glue on black dots and eyes (http://tiny.cc/7ykvew)
- Print this jar and have kids make fingerprint bugs with stamp pad (http://tiny.cc/40kvew)
- Print same jar and have kids put bug stickers inside
- Make a butterfly with coffee filters and clothespins
July 18th Theme: Chickens
June 25th Theme: Beach
- Beach Day by Karen Roosa and Maggie Smith
- Seashells by the Seashore by Marianne Berkes
- Beach Day (Max and Ruby) by Rosemary Wells
- Under the Sea Stamps (Oriental Trading, $5)
- Foam Fish Shapes on blue construction paper with sandpaper for beach
- Seashell mobile (Tacky Glue): http://crafts.kaboose.com/seashell-mobile.html#
For more pictures and ideas for these books, check out my Story Time board on Pinterest! If you want to do something super simple, you can always go with coloring pages!
I picked up supplies and some little extras like fish tattoos at Oriental Trading too. Here’s a few things to check out:
- Under the Sea Stamps $5.50
- Fish Tattoos $5 for 72
- Mini Bug Stickers $3 for 800
- Bug Stampers $5.50