This week, we’re continuing with our modified Catechism questions and answers. We’ve talked briefly about the Scriptures and where they came from and now we turn our attention to the first people on earth. Here’s a video we used to help recap the Bible lessons from the last few weeks from one of my favorite series, What’s in the Bible with Phil Vischer.
This week’s questions are:
Q16: Who were the first people?
A: Adam and Eve
Q17: How did God create people?
A: God created them in his own image from the dust of the ground.
Our supporting Scripture is Psalm 100:3a:
Know that the Lord is God. It is he who made us, and we are His.
Our Monthly Memory Verse is: 2 Timothy 3:16
For our lesson time, we’ll talk about the Creation account as well as Adam’s responsibilities in the garden. If you’re looking for coordinating activities, crafts, or games — ideas abound online, but I’ll highlight a few of my favorites below!
More Creation Themed Activities for Kids
Note to ELRAC Team: Already in the dropbox!
Grab a set of these (I think I might even have some in my office) and have kids make self-portraits. You could also use paper plates and yarn!
Use paper airplanes to talk about the “Made in God’s Image” concept. Lesson from Ministry to Children. Image via Flickr.
God’s Creation Photo Gallery: Send kids outside with a digital camera and take pictures of what God has made. Be sure to include pictures of classmates! Assemble the pictures in a fun slideshow via Animoto. Image via Flickr.
Use this lesson with older kids to talk about what it means to have an image and the importance of carrying around the image of God. Photo via Flicker.
More Stuff to Check Out:
- A HUGE pile of links and resources to check out related to the first people (Adam and Eve) via Children’s Chapel
- Day 6 of Creation: Lesson from Mission Bible Class
- God Made me and Loves me Lesson for PreK
- Creation: Day 6 & 7 from Ministry to Children
- Relevant Magazine: What does it mean to be made in God’s image?
- Grab a few art ideas and review questions in this lesson
Songs to Sing:
- My God is So Big
- God Created it All
- Slugs and Bugs (God Made Me)
- Beautiful Beautiful by Francesca Battistelli
- Creation Musical (Preschool)